Thursday, May 1, 2008

Pt. 2: In Their Own Words: 4 Young People at the Abuja Conference

Ayodeji Adeyemo, 23
Action Group on Adolescent Health
Student, University of Ibadan
Nigeria

My organization is an action and advocacy group for sexual and reproductive health rights of young persons;. I just felt there is a need to make a difference in sexual and reproductive health. In Africa, a lot of young persons are being plagued by sexual health challenges like unattended pregnancies and unsafe abortions. In many parts of Nigeria, there are still gender inequities, which is the neglect of the girl child and making her less empowered. Sexually transmitted infections are still prevalent among youth.

I grew Osogbo, Osua state. It is a semi-urban area. The challenge is around youth who just finished secondary school. It is really those who didn’t get admitted in to university. They come down with unintended pregnancies and abortions. As a young kid, I always knew I would go to university. I speak for those who are not as empowered as I am. This conference has brought research so close to everyone. I know that I can easily conduct research on sexual and reproductive health challenges that could benefit a lot of other youths. I love challenges, but my worry is you only get your voice to be heard when you have facts and figures. As an average Nigerian, you always think research is big do for the professors. Coming to a conference like this is a lifetime investment because I realize I can conduct my own research on issues that are plaguing youths that are not being paid attention to.

Interview by Brian W. Simpson, editor of Johns Hopkins Public Health magazine.

No comments: